Conference 2010 – Istanbul
This year's meeting of Alpbach Clubs and Initiative Groups took place in Istanbul, Turkey, from 15th to 18th of April, 2010. Representatives of EFA network from 22 countries, including Serbia, were hosted by members of Club Alpbach Turkey for amazing four days. Ivana Adamovic, Mirjana Nikolic and Milana Sredojevic participated in the conference on behalf of Club Alpbach Belgrade.
Besides its main goal, which is to strengthen cooperation, exchange ideas, experience and know-how, and discuss current and future projects, between Alpbach Clubs and Initiative groups, conference was also dedicated to the question of visa liberalization and visa issues between Turkey and European Union.
Thursday, April 15, 2010
Welcome reception hosted by Club Alpbach Turkey and EFA Coordination Team.
Friday, April 16, 2010
International conference on Free Movement of Persons and Visa Issues between Turkey and EU Countries, Istanbul Chamber of Commerce
The morning session – Turkey ’s Legal Position under the Association Agreement and Additional Protocol; Meaning of European Court of Justice recent Judgments. Panel was opened by Prof. Erich Gornik, Vice President of the Board of European Forum Alpbach.
Further on participants were addressed by:
- Dursun Topcu – Vice President of Istanbul Chamber of Commerce,
- H.E. Heidemarie Gurer – Ambassador of Austria to Turkey,
- Egemen Bagis – Minister for EU Affairs and Chief Negotiator in Accession talks between Turkey and the EU,
- Helen Flautre – Co-Chairwoman of the EU-Turkey Joint Parliamentary Committee,
- Prof. Dr Haluk Kabaalioglu – Dean, Faculty of Law, Yeditepe University, Istanbul,
- Prof. Dr. Mehmet Helvaci – Professor of Law,
- Dr Can Baydarol – EU expert.
The afternoon session – Practice and Policies of EU Member States
Session was chaired by Dr. Deniz Iigaz, professor at the Bogazici University. Following speakers introduced participants with their perspective of the issue:
- Even Bingol – Member of the Executive Committee of International Transport Association,
- Att. Murat Ugur Aksoy – Lecturer, Yeditepe University,
- Verena Knaus – Senior Analyst, European Stability Initiative,
- Haluk Agca – Turkish Consul in Romania.
After a boat tour on the Bosporus, there has been reception hosted by Austrian Cultural forum, in Austrian Consulate, followed by short concert of the "Duo Nota Bene" and dinner hosted by Istanbul Chamber of Commerce.
Saturday, April 17, 2010
During the third day of stay in Turkey, members of EFA Network were given a chance to get to know Istanbul better and enjoy its most significant cultural and historical beauties, such as Aya Sofia and Blue Mosque.
The afternoon was reserved for official meeting of Alpbach Clubs and IGs. Main topics of discussion were:
- Structural and organizational changes that had been going on in some Clubs and IGs,
- Standing Committee plans for this year’s EFA,
- Rules of procedures.
Sunday, April 18, 2010
Departure of the international participants.